When it comes to homemade dog food, many people ask, is it balanced? This is a common question, and I think a reasonable answer is… it depends!
Just as with any diet, homemade dog food can be healthy or unhealthy, balanced or unbalanced. With a little practice, you can learn to create highly nutritious meals with all their natural nutrients still intact (as opposed to highly processed kibble). Such a diet leads to balance and improved nutritional status.
Also, a point to consider: is every meal you eat 100% balanced? Generally, we know that in order to have a healthy diet for ourselves, we eat a wide range of nutritious foods. Adding a high quality multivitamin and mineral helps round things out.
The same can be said for our dogs.
Keep the following concepts in mind:
- Strive for variety over time
- Introduce new foods slowly, a little at a time
- There are different schools of thought on balance of protein, carbs and fat
- Make meat / animal protein the base of your dog’s meals; surround with vegetables followed by fruits, oils, starches, eggs, organ meats & more options
- Supplement the diet with finely ground eggshells, omega-3s, whole foods
- Every dog is different, so the path to balance can vary with the individual
- Contact me for help!
About Dog Food Coach
I am on a mission to help you feed your dogs a healthier diet using simple, everyday foods found in most grocery stores, farm stands or elsewhere.
How Can I Help?
- Empower you
- Help you realize you can improve your dog’s diet without too much trouble or confusion
- Guide you toward healthy, easy to make foods
- Support you during your transition
- Suggest healthier options
- Work with you to create a truly supportive, nourishing diet for your dog
Basic Consult Option:
A basic consult includes the following:
- Review of your dog’s current diet and suggested changes as needed
- 2 sample recipes, created by Sarah
- Educational handouts, created by Sarah
- One week of unlimited, as needed emails and texts
- Cost: $50 per weekly consult – purchase one or several weeks’ worth
- Contact me to inquire about a basic consult or
- Purchase one or more weekly consults on PayPal
If you are interested in a different setup, I will try to customize to your individual needs as much as possible. Either way, contact me to get started.