Dogs can get prostate cancer just like humans. Diet and lifestyle changes can help reduce risk, and some recommendations for humans may also be helpful for dogs. These suggestions, originally written for humans but probably helpful for our furry friends, include:
- maintaining a healthy weight
- eating more fish – “good fat” can help protect against cancer
- incorporating olive oil into the diet – make sure it’s the real stuff! (contact me if you are not sure what this means)
- eating more antioxidants – found in cruciferous vegetables (these include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, collards and many more!) as well as berries and many other fruits and vegetables
- keeping stress in check
- keeping your dog’s body strong and healthy in general, which can help him combat illness
Making sure your dog’s diet is healthy can go a long way in keeping his immune system running properly. A diet of whole foods, including healthy oils, vegetables, good-quality meats and other key items will greatly contribute to his overall health.