Scroll down for video!
Do you ever make a dog friendly meal and not realize it? There are so many foods that we eat, that our dogs can eat too. Of course there are also many exceptions, and we need to take care not to subject our dog’s bellies to too much unfamiliar, rich or dangerous foods. That said, there are seemingly endless everyday healthy foods that are also good for dogs. In fact, that was the main inspiration for my site, DogFoodJournal.com.
Here is one example. I made a simple, healthy meal of steelhead trout, brown rice and spinach. My food here is also a dog friendly meal, so I saved a little for my dog, Autumn. She weighs about 75 pounds – I saved about a tablespoon of each ingredient. That is not a meal of course – just a topper. You can do this too!
To make this dog friendly meal, you can do the following (and you may have your own methods):
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Take your fish and rinse it, and then place it in a baking pan. Pat it dry.
- Coat it on both sides with olive oil.
- Bake in pan until cooked / flaky, usually about a half hour
- I did not spice it up since I was sharing with Autumn. I spiced mine up at the end, after removing her portion.
- In a soup pot, cook about 1 part rice to 3 parts water on medium heat until rice is cooked, usually about 45 minutes. Watch for overflow – if it gets too high, turn the heat down.
- Rinse raw spinach.
- Place in skillet or pan with a little water, and steam on medium heat until bright green – less than five minutes.
Enjoy, and contact me to talk more about ways to improve your dog’s diet using real, everyday foods.- Sarah
About Dog Food Coach
I am on a mission to help you feed your dogs a healthier diet using simple, everyday foods found in most grocery stores, farm stands or elsewhere.
How Can I Help?
- Empower you
- Help you realize you can improve your dog’s diet without too much trouble or confusion
- Guide you toward healthy, easy to make foods
- Support you during your transition
- Suggest healthier options
- Work with you to create a truly supportive, nourishing diet for your dog
Individual Support Option:
Go by the week, and choose one week or multiple weeks of support. This flexible plan allows you as much support and connection as you feel you need.
During our time together, I encourage (but certainly don’t require) you to make the sample recipes I send. We can then discuss any questions you have. Each week includes the following.
- Review of your dog’s current diet
- Suggested changes as needed
- 1 sample recipe, created by Sarah
- 1 educational 1-page handout, created by Sarah
- Unlimited emails and texts as needed
- Cost: $50 per week – purchase one or several weeks’ worth
- Purchase one or more weekly support consults on PayPal